Reduce the Risk of Eye Strain
You can reduce your risk of developing eye strain by making a few adjustments to your daily habits. One of the easiest ways to do this is to give yourself a break from your work, whether it is on a computer or behind the wheel. Breaks are not only good for your eyes but your overall health as well.
The 20-20-20 Rule
One way to ensure you are giving your eyes appropriate rest from screen time is by following the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look at something at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This rest will give your eye muscles a chance to relax.
If you spend a lot of time working on a computer or at a desk, consider adopting proper office ergonomics. Ergonomics are designed to help you feel as comfortable as possible and reduce the stress placed on your body through repeated or extended motions.
Set your workspace up properly so you can feel your best throughout the day:
- Place your monitor at arm’s length away.
- Position your wrists straight and your hands at or below elbow level.
- Adjust your chair height so your knees are level with your hips.
- Choose a comfortable chair with plenty of support.
- Reduce glare by facing your screen away from bright lights and windows.
- Set your screen’s colour contrast and brightness to match your environment.